Emerge, PhotographyRegular price €100,00
- Photography print
- 29.7 x 42 cm (unframed)
- Sold framed
"Emerge" encapsulates the interweaving of identity and landscape—sea, rock, and human. The sea symbolizes fluidity and sexuality, from which the human figure emerges. The rocks represent society's beliefs and constructs, while the contortionist's body portrays unconventionality—challenging societal norms. The contortionist is stepping above society's expectations, climbing its ladder with confidence and not molding their identity in the process. The photograph's moral lesson lies in the idea that the path to self-acceptance can be challenging and intricate, they will tell you to mold, to dress, to act, to love, to be...but you are emerging from the sea, from it's fluidity and beauty, the infinite and life, embrace and emerge.
About the Artist
Mariah Ivie Cutajar is an emerging photographer and filmmaker. With her anthropological lens, she crafts narratives that delve into the depths of symbolism, mythology, and archives, weaving together visuals that resonate with her own personal life experiences. Currently, she is working on a photo project called 'Forage' to unearth an answer to the question 'What is Love?'.
About the auction
- This artwork is part of The Big Gay Art Show, a collective exhibition celebrating queer Maltese and Malta-based artists, displayed at Cafe Society in Valletta between the 7th and 30th of September 2023
- All proceeds from the auction go to the Artist
- The bidding increment is set at EUR 10.00
- The silent auction auction ends on the 30th of September at 23:59
- The winning bidder will be notified on the 1st of October 2023
- The collection of the artwork will be available from the 3rd of October 2023 at il-lokal shop in Valletta
- Local and international shipping will be quoted separately