We’ve got a damn creative queer community that has chosen to call Malta home, and with all of Europe coming to Valletta to celebrate Pride, we want to show off all that this island’s LGBTQ+ community has to offer, and to give a platform to queer artists that have passion and talent to share.
We are now accepting artwork submissions for THE BIG GAY ART SHOW, an art exhibition at Café Society, in collaboration with il-lokal, that will run from September 7. Guidelines for submission can be seen below.
Chosen artworks will be displayed at Café Society during EuroPride, and sold by silent auction at il-lokal, with the artists receiving 100% of sales.
As always with Café Society, there will be a kick-ass exhibition opening party on Thursday, September 7, where guests can meet the artists and select from a cocktail menu of drinks inspired by the art. DJ will be on the decks from 8 pm, so come have a boogie and enjoy the celebration of the amazing creativity of the local queer community as we kick off the Pride Week to remember.
GUIDELINES FOR SUBMISSION:
We are accepting artworks created by members of the sexually-diverse and queer community in Malta. If you feel like that fits you, you qualify :).
There’s no theme or guidelines, we just want to see the unbridled creativity of the amazing community up on the walls at Café Society and show it off to the world as we celebrate what makes us all unique.
Calling all painters, illustrators, printmakers, photographers, designers, textile artists and mixed media artists to show us what you got. We are looking for any form of visual expression that can be hung on the wall.
- You may submit up to 5 pieces, though pieces may be selected individually and not necessarily as a set.
- If chosen, artwork must be provided framed at the artist’s expense and be delivered to il-lokal between 29 August and 5 September.
- Featured artists are asked to attend the opening party on Thursday September 7, though attendance is not a requirement for selection.
You will be asked to provide:
- Biography in 3rd person (max 100 words)
- Art statement in 1st person (max 200 words) describing the body of work proposed for the exhibition
- Image of each artwork labeled with the name of the artwork
- Title of artwork(s)
- Technique and medium of each artwork
- Dimensions in cm for each artwork
- Minimum bid for each artwork
- Artist portrait photo (optional)
- Social media handles (optional)
Deadline for submission is 19:00 on Monday 21 August 2023.
Key dates to keep in mind:
- 21 August: Submission deadline
- 23-24 August: Artist notifications
- 29 August - 5 September: Artwork drop off at il-lokal
- 6 September: Installation
- 7 September: Opening event
- 30 September: Closing day
- 2 October: Dismantling
- 5 - 12 October: Collection by artists and buyers from il-lokal / shipments